Hunting in South Africa is a great choice for many different types of safari seekers! First-time hunting safaris, the budget conscious hunter, family-friendly getaway, or low-stress hunting safaris, this is an excellent option for you!
Why hunt in South Africa
There are many reasons why people choose to hunt in South Africa. Some of the main reasons are:
- Animal Variety: There are over 60 huntable species in our camps in South Africa. From the smallest antelope to the largest Elephant, the availability of game species is astounding to say the least.
- Length of hunting Season: The hunting season varies by province and by species, but many animals may be hunted year-round.
- Climate: Since South Africa is in the Southern Hemisphere, their Seasons are opposite of North America; in which, Winter is in the months of June through September. Since many people prefer to hunt in June, July and August, it should be noted that an African Winter Day is quite pleasant normally with temperatures into the high 60’s or 70’s. (Just know this means it can be cold at night, so bring a jacket!)
- Accessibility: In years passed, famous hunters would take substantial pains to travel to Africa to hunt (thinking of Teddy Roosevelt’s African Game Trails). These days you can travel to Johannesburg from Atlanta in a bit less than 15 hours- non-stop. After reaching Johannesburg the hunter can be in camp in a few short hours – either by car or a short connecting flight.
- Terrain: South Africa offers a great deal of terrain diversity from semi-desert to lush forest and the Drakensburg Mountains. This gives you great flexibility in having the experience you’re looking for!
- Cost: Due to the popularity of Safari tours and hunting, you can get very good value for your travel and hunting dollar by coming to South Africa. A week-long plains game hunt in South Africa is normally less expensive than almost any other guided hunt.
- Accommodations: The safari lodges in South Africa can be some of the most comfortable that you will ever experience. For the more adventurous, a remote fly camp with tent accommodations in the back and beyond can be arranged – it’s all up to your preferences.
Where is the best place to hunt in South Africa
This is a subjective question as it depends on you, the hunter, and your preferences. Below we’ll list some areas we think will provide you with the best places to hunt:
- Eastern Cape
- Northern Cape (specialized specie hunts)
- Free State (specialized specie hunts)
If this information stimulates your imagination and interest in a Safari, we are here to help. Take a look at our South African Hunting packages, or let us know if we can customize a safari hunt for you! We can also help you determine a hunt that fits your budget, call us or complete our questionnaire for a quote!